All along the continuum of care — from large health systems to rural home care — collaboration and cooperation among departments are critical for optimal patient outcomes. At Vidyo’s Healthcare Summit in Nashville this past October, leaders from clinical and IT departments candidly discussed their pain points and their requirements for success in high-demand, sometimes resource-strapped environments.
Leaders from both departments agreed that they’ve been working in quiet frustration (or have voiced their concerns within their departments) over deploying much-needed telehealth solutions throughout their healthcare enterprises. It was unanimous: Internal disconnects delay their common goal of positive patient outcomes.
Some of the causes:
- Within IT there are territory issues; people are reluctant to share knowledge for fear of their jobs.
- IT doesn’t invite clinical to the table early enough for proper adoption of initiatives, and visa-versa.
- There is a lack of communication and understanding of proposed solutions.
- Too much security prevents full usage of applications.
- Collaborate via monthly meetings, with stakeholders sharing accountability and project management.
- Invite clinical department staff to technology discussions.
- Host team-building events that foster trust and communication.
- Ensure that leaders take the initiative to drive communication to support technology adoption that results in successful patient outcomes.
- Reward IT and clinical teams for successful technology implementations.
So, what’s on the horizon? Collaboration, project management, training. Task forces from IT and clinical must work together to deploy telehealth solutions throughout service lines that span the continuum of care.
Clinical is on the forefront of delivering patient care, while IT steps up to integrate telehealth solutions for ease of use and ensure enterprise-wide adoption of technologies. Teams working together, trusting one another, and focusing on positive outcomes for the patient will lead to success.
About Vidyo, Inc.Vidyo is the leader in integrated video collaboration for businesses that require the highest quality, real-time video communications available to directly embed into their business processes. Millions of users around the world visually connect every day with Vidyo’s secure, scalable technology and cloud-based services. Vidyo has been awarded over 170 patents worldwide and is recognized by industry analysts for its cloud platform and APIs. Thousands of enterprises, service providers, and technology partners leverage Vidyo’s technology to create innovative HD quality video-enabled applications. Learn more at www.vidyo.com, on the blog, or follow Vidyo on Twitter @vidyo and on Facebook.
The VIDYO logo is a registered trademark of Vidyo, Inc., VIDYO and the trademarks of the VIDYO family of products are trademarks of Vidyo, Inc. and the other trademarks referenced herein are the property of their respective owners.
Many of the products and features described herein remain in varying stages of development and will be offered on a when-and-if available basis. The product plans, specifications, and descriptions are provided for information only and are subject to change without notice, and are provided without warranty of any kind, express or implied. Vidyo reserves the right to modify future product plans at any time.